Here is part two of my, “Ask me ANYTHING” question from Emily McManus. Last week I answered, What's your biggest inspiration for how you consciously create your life? This week I answer two questions, How do I vision/plan my life? How often do I revisit this?
1. Dream: It’s so important to be able to get beyond the day-to-day life and to go back to dreaming about how you want your ideal life to be. I always start here in order to include all 10 areas of my life which makes sure it’s getting better each year and that my satisfaction continues to increase.
How can you Dream?
a. Use the Wheel of Life: A professional coaching tool. (Here's the link to grab mine!)
b. Ask yourself what you want and be real!
2. Create: After you know what you want, you need to know what that looks like. There are so many ways to do it. I go through my DY2 Program (Dynamic Year + Dynamic You) to be sure I am learning from the previous year. Then I get creative with markers, big paper, magazines and create my vision.
How can you Create?
a. Make a Vision Board on poster board or on a computer program.
b. Write down your vision for a year from now.
3. Plan: Once I know where to go, it’s important I know how to get there! This is the time for details and dates. Also, I need to be thinking about those who are in my life and how do they fit in. As I merge the plans together I might have to compromise or make changes to accommodate others. Most importantly I make sure to add in the Golden nuggets I captured when I reviewed my previous year.
How can you Plan?
a. Find out the plans for those close to you (life partner, business partner, parents, kids etc.).
b. Create your 1 year and 5 year business plans in a computer timeline program, Excel or in a calendar.
4. Act: Then putting one foot in front of the other I put the plan I created in place. This means meeting those deadlines and having some accountability. I have a coach to keep me on target and accountability partners to support me through the plan. To not feel overwhelmed, make sure you have broken it down into manageable parts and have some balance between work and life.
How can you Act?
a. Of course I have to say, use a coach! They keep you focused, consistent and cheer you on.
b. Join an accountability group for even more support.
5. Review: Having a plan that you act on, but is not working is the death of any vision. I have a plan in place on when I review my vision. Usually every two weeks I touch base with my coach to see how I’m doing, if the plan is working and to make any necessary adjustments. I also make sure I’m using the Guidelines I created in DY2 to ensure I have a more successful and satisfying year. If anything is not in sync anymore then REVISE it!
How can you Review?
a. Have Review dates with yourself (or others) to check with your plan and see if you’re on target.
b. Make any adjustments as you go and change a goal if it doesn’t fit anymore.
What do you do to vision and plan your life? The same things or something different? Please share because I love when a community shares with one another!